We don't want to brag but TEDxCapeTown is filled with incredible individuals dedicated to sharing “ideas worth spreading” and this is why we love the idea of expanding our horizons even more by welcoming new creative minds into our volunteer teams each year. While 2021 may feel a bit different from other years, we came together to host our annual Open Day Xperience (completely virtually, of course!).
On 24 February 2021, we gave prospective TEDxers a chance to meet and interact with us, the #HumansBehindTEDxCapeTown, to find out whether they could see themselves as a [future] member of the team.
[To start off] Nothing breaks the ice quite like an icebreaker. There was plenty of laughter, shared experiences and some lowkey philanthropists revealing themselves. All-in-all, it was a great way to break the ice while getting to know each other.
Our very own, Ronell Swartbooi, TEDxCapeTown’s first female curator and all-around badass, opened the event with warm greetings and a video that took us all on a beautiful and nostalgic journey down memory lane - all the way from our very first event in 2011 to the most recent. Ahh, the memories.
Next, our Portfolio Leads were front and center, taking the virtual stage and introducing the various teams that ensure TEDxCapeTown runs like a well-oiled machine. They had a chance to introduce the duties and functions that each portfolio has, which is always a fun and enlightening experience for anyone who wants to see behind the curtain.
Fun fact: did you know we have 9 portfolios that work behind the scenes?
Here are the team names, if you’re curious: Speakers, Web&IT, Brand Communications, Partnerships, Community Engagement, Audience Experience, Artificial Intelligence, The Hive, and [email protected]
During the course of the event, participants had the chance to choose the portfolio (or portfolios) they resonated with and head into a break-away room that allowed them to get one-on-one interaction with the Portfolio Lead and team members. Questions were asked, answers were given and much was learnt about what makes each team tick.
Our first virtual Open Day Xperience was a great success!
We had an awesome time exchanging ideas, stories and experiences with those that joined us and hope they each hit ‘leave meeting’ having learnt something new about TEDxCapeTown.
If you're interested in getting involved, here's a list of volunteer vacancies we have in 2021:
- The Speakers Team is looking for two volunteers to take on the management of communication with the speakers that take the TEDxCapeTown stage.
- Brand Communications is on the lookout for three content creators interested in either LinkedIn, Facebook, or TikTok.
- Our Creative Team is recruiting two animators/ digital designers.
- The Audience Experience team is looking for an event coordinator with live event experience.
- The [email protected] team is looking for individuals to join their Social Media, Creative Design, and Speakers teams.
- Web & IT has four openings in website content, app development, IT management and community chat management.