Do you have a burning passion for something that the world needs to know about? Can you speak about it? Is it a remarkable idea worth spreading? Will it entertain, inspire and inform us all at the same time? Is it suited to a TED-like experience? If you answered yes to most of these questions, you can and should apply to become one of the next TEDxCapeTown speakers!
TEDx is not just a conference, it is a filmed production, and speaking at TEDxCapeTown is about much more than your appearance on stage. We are building a community of people who are engaging in meaningful change. Your attitude towards creating community and paying it forward is as important as your idea worth spreading!
Do you have an idea you want to spread at TEDxCapeTown 2018? Keep reading to make sure you have all the necessary information. And if you haven’t already, sign up to our mailing list to stay informed.
What topics can your talk be about?
We welcome talks about any topic. The more diverse, the better. This can range from technology, astronomy, design and entertainment to art, environmental science, leadership, entrepreneurship, finance, marketing, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, and more.
This year's theme – Pause and Effect
John Dewey once said, “we don’t learn through experience, but rather through reflecting on experiences.”
There is power in pausing, taking cognisance and realising we have choices in why and how we develop. The result of pausing is often a more mindful approach to what happens after. It’s a regenerative ethos as opposed to a linear, goal oriented busyness. From technology, ideology, economy, psychology and social justice, human society is experiencing tilts and shifts. There’s a world-wide need to stop, think and question.
In this pausing, there are many questions we can ask ourselves and reflect on: what am I feeling? What do I want to achieve and is this in line with the direction I’m heading in right now? Am I prioritising my well-being through my actions and the people I’m surrounding myself with?
Who are we looking for?
- The inventor – sharing an innovation with world-changing potential
- The teacher – sharing valuable knowledge in a memorable way to teenagers or adults
- The prodigy – young talent ready to break free
- The artist – showcasing inspiring work in a compelling new way
- The performer – staging music, comedy, dance, drama or something completely different
- The sage – wisdom the world needs from those who have learned it the hard way
- The enthusiast – with an infectious passion about a topic they can share
- The change agent – helping shape the world’s future with work that matters
- The storyteller – vivid, original and meaningful, with a talent for connection
- The spark – with a powerful idea worth spreading
How do you get started?
Empower yourself by making sure that you fully understand what these type of events are all about. It’s so much more than the average conference, rather it is more like a filmed production dedicated to ideas worth spreading! Take a moment to go behind the scenes of the last major event hosted by TEDxCapeTown, Hear to Listen and listen to what the speakers had to say. Immersing yourself in the various TED talks available on the internet. Perhaps also take a look at the official TED speaker guideline
What commitment is expected from speakers?
We are flexible and accommodating, but we do expect a high level of commitment from speakers. We expect you to take part in the process to prepare you for the intellectual performance of your career. If you cannot commit to these requirements we reserve the right to exclude you from the final speaker line up.
There are a number of events you will be expected to attend. Dates are subject to change based on how your talk journey goes. Here’s an overview to give you an idea.
TEDxCapeTown 2018 speaker schedule
Dates to commit to as a TEDxCapeTown 2018 speaker coach:
- April - Speaker applications close
- TBC - Pitch session 1 (speakers need only attend one pitch session)
- TBC - Pitch session 2
- TBC - Speaker workshop 1 (1 full day)
- Ongoing - Individual appointments with speaker coach
- TBC - Speaker workshop 2 (1-2 full days)
- June - Dry runs
- July / August - Event
Dates are subject to change based on how your talk journey goes and if changes are needed. These are the guidelines, and the number of events you will be expected to attend to give you an idea of the input required. We are flexible and accommodating, but we do expect a high level of commitment from speakers and speaker coaches alike. Please note: We expect you to take part in the process to prepare your speaker for the intellectual performance of their career.